22 May 2020
Steve Nye's Popup Beer Stall will be operating at the Lytton car park from 10am on Sunday. Be there or be thirsty!
18th May 2020 - Knebworth and Marymead Surgery finally relocate to new site in St Martin's Road
For more information, go to the practice's own website.
I created a new page: News from the Comet.
Knebworth.org rises from the ashes!
I have managed to purchase the domain name knebworth.org at auction. I have, for the moment, mirrored it to this site. At some point, I might make it the primary domain, although, technically, a '.org' top level domain should be used only by organizations in the USA.
- Maybe, Covid-19 wasn't such a big deal
- New Yorkers are fleeing the Big Apple
- Some evidence that SARS-CoV2 is mutating to become less transmissible and less harmful to the host.
- The long-term solution to this infectious disease is a vaccine. In a crowded race, Moderna seems to be leading the pack: at least for the moment.
- What does it feel like to get Covid-19? (NY Times)
- How well did we do? The answer depends on how many additional people died.
- There is an explosion of scientific research on the virus. The development of nuclear weapons, nuclear power, and then the Apollo programme had the effect of persuading millions to study science at school and university. Maybe the pandemic will have a similar effect.
- Suggestion that mothers do more home schooling than fathers.
- How Coronavirus Mutates and Spreads (NY Times)
- It seems highly improbable that Sars-Cov-2 originated in a laboratory (Nature)
- Bill Gates writes about developing a Covid-19 vaccine
- University of Washington demo Covid contact tracing app now available for installation on Android systems
- He was symptom free. But the coronavirus stayed in his body for 40 days
- Coronavirus: are we underestimating how many people have had it? Sweden thinks so
- ‘Closing borders is ridiculous’: the epidemiologist behind Sweden’s controversial coronavirus strategy
- In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead
- Covid-19 may pose a greatly increased risk of stroke, even for young victims
- Economic damage to southern Europe from the virus is likely to be high.
- UK coronavirus deaths more than double official figure, according to FT study
- Why older people are more vulnerable to Covid-19
- Productivity benefits from working home are unevenly spread
- 28,000 Missing Deaths: Tracking the True Toll of the Coronavirus Crisis (NYT)
- Evidence examined by the Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies on Covid-19
- Care Homes are "Death Pits" in this outbreak.
- The Economist has placed most of its Covid-19 coverage outside its paywall.
- The NYT Coronavirus Briefing for 15th April
- Comparison of weekly death occurrences in England and Wales:ONS
- Tourists in India forced to write 'I am sorry' 500 times after breaching lockdown
- COVID-19 vs. the Economy: When is it Time to Reboot?
- Circumstantial evidence that infection rates in Russia are much higher than officially recognized
- China clamping down on coronavirus research, deleted pages suggest (The Guardian, 11th April)
- Apple and Google are building a coronavirus tracking system into iOS and Android
- Chicago Hospital phlebotomist: 30% of those tested have coronavirus antibody
- Anti-Parasitic Drug Halts Coronavirus Replication in Lab-Grown Cells within 48 Hours
- N. Herts re-purposes Healthy Hub to focus on novel coronavirus.
- Amazing Visualualization 1
- Amazing Visualualization 2
- An antibody test for the novel coronavirus will soon be available: article from this week's Economist magazine.
- A Doctor's Dilemma — one doctor's thoughts on the virus.
Please visit the Covid Response Team website for the latest info.
This website has a page on more generic Covid-19 News with some local coronavirus links.
Since the demise of knebworth.org, Knebworth has not had a general site to collect together news and information about the village. I thought a wiki would be a good choice, because with this sort of website anyone can register and contribute. I taught myself how to install mediawiki, and this is the result. Please feel free to explore, register and, if you feel the urge, contribute.
I haven't promoted this site on social media, as I am still tweaking the configuration of MediaWiki (the software the site runs on). I also felt that launching in a time of SARS-CoV2 was not exactly auspicious as the existing sites seem to be doing a good job of keeping folk informed. I am not an expert on the software and I want to make sure that it's robust and scalable before Knebworth folk start to put in the effort to create content on the site.
There are relatively few sources of news in Knebworth. An honourable mention must go to Knebworth News who tweets about local events. St. Martin's Church publishes a monthly edition of Knebworth Parish News, but this is available in hard copy only.
Knebworth is a very low-crime area, as is revealed by the UK Crime Map of the civil parish.
Knebworth has its own page on Wikipedia. The editors of Wikipedia are quite fussy about citing sources and generally not allowing any unsupported assertions from appearing on its pages. You can always practice your wiki creation skills by creating a page here before adding material to Wikipedia itself, as both sites use the same underlying content management system.
- Knebworth Parish Council
- Knebworth Village Trust
- We are from Knebworth (Facebook group: you have to join to see content and post)
- Knebworth Neighbourhood Plan
- Knebworth Twinning Association
- Knebworth Village Website (archived)
- Knebworth WI
- Knebworth Community Chorus
- Stevenage & Knebworth Arts Group
- The Lytton Arms
- The Station Pub
- Knebworth House
- The Corner Shop (Knebworth Store, run by Dogan Sahin).
- Knebworth Primary and Nursery School
- Knebworth Pre-School
- Stepping Stones Pre-school
- Knebworth Community Library
- Colin Stringer "Virus Inspire Us" Quizzes
- Knebworth Park Cricket Club
- Archery Club Green Dragon Bowmen
- Knebworth Football Club
- Knebworth Golf Club
- Knebworth Tennis Club
- Knebworth Karate Club
Knebworth Family of Churches
The Parish Council has a good local directory of services.